Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mid-term essay reflection

Q: "What we aspire to and what we achieve are not always the same." In what ways and to what effect has the playwrite you have studied explored this human experience?

Introduction
Henrick Ibsen's play "A Doll's House" demonstrates how "what we aspire to and what we achieve are not always the same." Ibsen explores this through the main characters of Nora, Torvald, Krogstad and Mrs Linde. They all aspire to reach a common goal of true happiness however they have contrasting methods of obtaining it, meaning one some will come to achieve what they aspired to achieve.

Topic sentences
A Doll's House is set in a 19th century patriachal society where men were expected to provide and guide the women and children under his care. Nora and Torvald are a middle class couple who both aspire to achieve happiness for their family.

Even thought Nora and Torvald appear to have filled these conventional social roles well, we begin to see they have not truely achieved what they aspired to: happiness.

Krogstad and Mrs Linde on the other hand aspire to happiness through survival.

In end Krogstad and Mrs Linde "join forces" to achieve the happiness both has aspired to.

Reflection
I have managed to start a sophisticated argument but failed to resolve it. There is little mention to techniques in my essay. I have not managed to go into enough detail and havn't developed my argument. Although the essay question is centered around the quote "what we aspire to and what we achieve are not always the same" I could have linked the supporting evidence from my body paragraphs to the bigger picture: how society's expectations rob us of true happiness. Hopefully this will halp resolve the argument.

The introduction lacks mention of the important role society plays in developing my essay, also it does not flow well. My topic sentences are very to the point and helps strengthen the structure of my essay more. However I need to make sure I fully explain all the points made in the topic sentence in order to create a convincing argument. This is where the exploration of techniques are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment